Skip to main content

Dog and Pony

Dear Reader,

Of course, I should have taken a photo, but Pony doesn't belong to me; he belongs to LandLady and when he jumped the baby gate, I panicked and didn't think to reach for my camera.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

As previously mentioned, before I moved in with LandLady, she had agreed to let me adopt a dog. But not just any dog - specifically, a retired racing greyhound.  Because they are quiet and gentle and sleep about 18 hours a day.  Kind of like cats, but you can teach them to do useful stuff, like "come".*

Over the course of my first two weeks here, as we discussed arrangements for the dog - Where to poop?  Where to eat?  Where to sleep?  How to train? - LandLady got more and more interested in the breed and increasingly excited about having something to pet.  I suggested that she could get her own dog, but she demurred, claiming she preferred to use my dog as a test of her own emotional and physical preparedness for dog ownership.  Personally, I thought that two clueless** animals introduced to the same house at the same time was probably going to be a bit "interesting", so I let the question drop.

And then last weekend we went to the adoption kennel.

I liked a 4 year old red female, but she couldn't come home with us because she hadn't been spayed yet.  And LandLady met Pony, a  large "galumphy" (in LandLady's words) 2 year old male.  It was mutual love the first time he leaned on her.  And we all need a giant adoring cold-nosed reason to get out of bed in the morning, so it was, at last, agreed there would be two dogs in the house.  But Pony was too big to fit in the crate we had at home so there was no chance of bringing him home immediately either.  After a 4 1/2 hour visit, we left without a dog.

But this weekend, a week wiser and better prepared, we brought home two greyhounds, who will hereafter be referred to as Dog and Pony.

Last night, I was in the TV room with Dog when Pony came to visit.  Dog was well contained in the room with a closed door at one end and a wooden baby gate*** at the other.  But both dogs were very wound up and eager to explore their new surroundings and have shown a willingness to jump onto or over whatever stands in their way.  Very rarely does this go well for them, however, as illustrated below.  Before I could get a hand on his collar, Pony "stepped over" the gate and got himself stuck and couldn't work out how to get himself unstuck.  Greyhounds do not "jump back".

Which puts a whole new spin on the term "greyhound rescue".


Wish us luck as we let sleeping dogs lie,
~~ LeAn
______
* It's a big house.  So, "deliver to LandLady" is also on my list of desirable tricks.
** Retired racers only know the track and the kennel.  They don't know what cars or windows or stairs or children or vacuum cleaners are.
*** Baby gate vs. dog gate.  WalMart price difference: 12 cents.

Comments

  1. ha ha - looking forward to hearing more antics

    ReplyDelete
  2. my daughter, a dog owner????? will wonders never cease...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Box Set

Jayne and I had decided to blow off work and talk about men in a way we never would have done when we were younger and more responsible.  (Actually, our bosses had pre-approved the vacation time if not the conversation, but I like to think that after sensible teenage and young adult years, we still have a chance of turning into carefree middle aged rebels.)  Jayne was sharing with me the surprise some people had expressed when they learned she was getting divorced and how that had opened her eyes to the compartmentalization in her life; in this case, that her marriage had been slowly deteriorating but she didn't talk about this with anyone - even close friends. I asked Jayne how many "boxes" she had.   "5 - 1 for work, 1 for family, 1 specifically for my ex, 1 for Christian friends, and 1 for non-Christan friends." As she finished, I saw myself 6 months ago.   I was having morning coffee with a friend and my phone beeped its daily 9 am reminder....

101 Things To Say Into a Microphone: Take 1 - Eletelephony

Dear Reader, At one point years ago, back when I was doing a bit of freelance audio, video and film production work, an idea came to me: I should write a book and call it 101 Things To Say Into a Microphone .  The idea was likely brought on by hearing some production assistant or other saying "Check...check 1.... check 1, 2, 3...Can you hear me?...... Check...........check....check....1...2...1.......2...check...3...4..." and so on for a period of time much longer than he wished to repeat it and everyone else wished to hear it.  Why not, I thought, write (or rather, compile) a book of relatively short, funny or interesting poems, quotes, stories, jokes, etc. which can be easily memorized and repeated by production assistants everywhere to the benefit of everyone on set or stage? This idea came back to me recently when I needed to test the recording quality of a microphone I purchased to record super-interesting-technical-stuff for work. Let's make this a collective...

Day 2: Grand Rapids, MI to Oconomowoc, WI

 When I lived in England, I learned the saying - Start as you mean to go on . I thought about this as the hotel manager explained to me that he was calling because I had left my journal in the hotel room but he would be able to have it shipped back to me if I could provide a pre-paid shipping label. This was the second distressing phone call before lunch.   The first distressing phone call was to say that due to high winds expected across Lake Michigan, our ferry to Milwaukee was cancelled. I really like ferries and I had been looking forward to the ferry across Lake Michigan for weeks. We stopped at Panera for lunch and to discuss the situation. My lunch was a disappointing sandwich. And then there was a lot of highway south of Lake Michigan and around Chicago.  And Spotify kept slipping weird mellow folk music into my upbeat driving playlist. And then about 20 miles before Oconomowoc, the sky did this, and I think we will consider this the new start of the trip.