Skip to main content

Stout Wednesdays

Dear Reader,

When I arrived in Maine last Wednesday, I asked my landlord for restaurant recommendations.  He asked if I was a beer drinker and recommended a restaurant on the water that serves beer from the local brewery.  "Also," he added, "It's where the smart people hang out."  I may not historically be a beer drinker but I did come to Maine for the water.  And I figured as long as I didn't drink too much I could blend in with the smart people.

I was perusing the beer list when the waitress came over to take my order.  One choice is as good as another when you don't know what you're talking about, but rather than choose blindly, I asked the waitress for recommendations.  She was most enthusiastic about a Russian Imperial Stout.  (Think darker and higher alcohol content than Guinness.)

I liked it and thought I would order it again given the opportunity.

I got the opportunity yesterday in Boston.  I was in town overnight for work, and a friend invited me to join her for free beer at the Sam Adams Brewery Wednesday Flight Night.



Once again, the stout was my preference.  The ale was ok.  And I couldn't be bothered to finish the lager.  Yuck.)

Let's see if next Wednesday turns a two week coincidence into a pattern.

Here's to Stout Wednesdays,
~~ LeAn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Box Set

Jayne and I had decided to blow off work and talk about men in a way we never would have done when we were younger and more responsible.  (Actually, our bosses had pre-approved the vacation time if not the conversation, but I like to think that after sensible teenage and young adult years, we still have a chance of turning into carefree middle aged rebels.)  Jayne was sharing with me the surprise some people had expressed when they learned she was getting divorced and how that had opened her eyes to the compartmentalization in her life; in this case, that her marriage had been slowly deteriorating but she didn't talk about this with anyone - even close friends. I asked Jayne how many "boxes" she had.   "5 - 1 for work, 1 for family, 1 specifically for my ex, 1 for Christian friends, and 1 for non-Christan friends." As she finished, I saw myself 6 months ago.   I was having morning coffee with a friend and my phone beeped its daily 9 am reminder....

101 Things To Say Into a Microphone: Take 1 - Eletelephony

Dear Reader, At one point years ago, back when I was doing a bit of freelance audio, video and film production work, an idea came to me: I should write a book and call it 101 Things To Say Into a Microphone .  The idea was likely brought on by hearing some production assistant or other saying "Check...check 1.... check 1, 2, 3...Can you hear me?...... Check...........check....check....1...2...1.......2...check...3...4..." and so on for a period of time much longer than he wished to repeat it and everyone else wished to hear it.  Why not, I thought, write (or rather, compile) a book of relatively short, funny or interesting poems, quotes, stories, jokes, etc. which can be easily memorized and repeated by production assistants everywhere to the benefit of everyone on set or stage? This idea came back to me recently when I needed to test the recording quality of a microphone I purchased to record super-interesting-technical-stuff for work. Let's make this a collective...

Day 2: Grand Rapids, MI to Oconomowoc, WI

 When I lived in England, I learned the saying - Start as you mean to go on . I thought about this as the hotel manager explained to me that he was calling because I had left my journal in the hotel room but he would be able to have it shipped back to me if I could provide a pre-paid shipping label. This was the second distressing phone call before lunch.   The first distressing phone call was to say that due to high winds expected across Lake Michigan, our ferry to Milwaukee was cancelled. I really like ferries and I had been looking forward to the ferry across Lake Michigan for weeks. We stopped at Panera for lunch and to discuss the situation. My lunch was a disappointing sandwich. And then there was a lot of highway south of Lake Michigan and around Chicago.  And Spotify kept slipping weird mellow folk music into my upbeat driving playlist. And then about 20 miles before Oconomowoc, the sky did this, and I think we will consider this the new start of the trip.