Skip to main content

Be it resolved (Another New Year's Post).


I love January 1; the symbolism of "starting over" and "trying again" makes me hopeful about my prospects for actually improving my life and myself over the next year. Of course, like so many people, Dec. 31 will find me trying to remember what exactly I had resolved 12 months earlier, and whether I should be setting the same goals for next year - or choosing something more achievable.

2011 was a year of babies among my friends and family in the US*, and therefore my New Year's Day greeted with singing and champagne was nothing like the New Year's Day my friends toasted with formula and fond hopes of getting some sleep again sometime soon.

I rang in 2012 with a couple of English friends, who, like me, are single, childless women on good salaries.  We discussed the future: work and career trajectories, vacation plans and real estate.  It hardly needs to be said that the lives of single, childless women are different from the lives of women married with kids.  We certainly do as we like - go out, stay in, save, spend, etc.  But still, we wonder if we are living as fully as we could; if we are taking full advantage of our freedom from responsibilities at home.

Upon reflection, I'm reducing my New Year's resolutions to two.  The first is concrete and verifiable - I am going to keep my inbox free from an undue accumulation of unread messages. (I cleared off 185 unread messages during my Christmas vacation.)  The second is vague but ambitious and I am the only one who will ever know if it has been kept or broken.  This year, 2012, the year of the London Olympics and my UK Visa renewal, be it resolved that I will embrace singleness and childlessness and financial blessing; and I will live like I am free.

*I'm an aunt!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Box Set

Jayne and I had decided to blow off work and talk about men in a way we never would have done when we were younger and more responsible.  (Actually, our bosses had pre-approved the vacation time if not the conversation, but I like to think that after sensible teenage and young adult years, we still have a chance of turning into carefree middle aged rebels.)  Jayne was sharing with me the surprise some people had expressed when they learned she was getting divorced and how that had opened her eyes to the compartmentalization in her life; in this case, that her marriage had been slowly deteriorating but she didn't talk about this with anyone - even close friends. I asked Jayne how many "boxes" she had.   "5 - 1 for work, 1 for family, 1 specifically for my ex, 1 for Christian friends, and 1 for non-Christan friends." As she finished, I saw myself 6 months ago.   I was having morning coffee with a friend and my phone beeped its daily 9 am reminder....

101 Things To Say Into a Microphone: Take 1 - Eletelephony

Dear Reader, At one point years ago, back when I was doing a bit of freelance audio, video and film production work, an idea came to me: I should write a book and call it 101 Things To Say Into a Microphone .  The idea was likely brought on by hearing some production assistant or other saying "Check...check 1.... check 1, 2, 3...Can you hear me?...... Check...........check....check....1...2...1.......2...check...3...4..." and so on for a period of time much longer than he wished to repeat it and everyone else wished to hear it.  Why not, I thought, write (or rather, compile) a book of relatively short, funny or interesting poems, quotes, stories, jokes, etc. which can be easily memorized and repeated by production assistants everywhere to the benefit of everyone on set or stage? This idea came back to me recently when I needed to test the recording quality of a microphone I purchased to record super-interesting-technical-stuff for work. Let's make this a collective...

Day 2: Grand Rapids, MI to Oconomowoc, WI

 When I lived in England, I learned the saying - Start as you mean to go on . I thought about this as the hotel manager explained to me that he was calling because I had left my journal in the hotel room but he would be able to have it shipped back to me if I could provide a pre-paid shipping label. This was the second distressing phone call before lunch.   The first distressing phone call was to say that due to high winds expected across Lake Michigan, our ferry to Milwaukee was cancelled. I really like ferries and I had been looking forward to the ferry across Lake Michigan for weeks. We stopped at Panera for lunch and to discuss the situation. My lunch was a disappointing sandwich. And then there was a lot of highway south of Lake Michigan and around Chicago.  And Spotify kept slipping weird mellow folk music into my upbeat driving playlist. And then about 20 miles before Oconomowoc, the sky did this, and I think we will consider this the new start of the trip.