Skip to main content

Who you callin' heavy?

Posted from the house I grew up in (but it's a different color now).

I'm thinking about buying a cow.  A Jersey or Guernsey.  Something with high fat content milk.  My mom says I can't keep it here, so I'll have to bring it back to Tulsa with me.

I know you're thinking it, but are too polite to ask.  For a woman who struggles with the care of dogs and cockatiels,  why would I want to buy a cow?  Well, it all started with scones.  Scones should have clotted cream.  Clotted cream comes from cream.  Cream comes from milk.  Milk comes from cows.  It's just logical.

"Surely", you are thinking, "Surely it must be possible to acquire clotted cream in the US without actually purchasing, feeding, housing and cleaning up after a cow?"

**Here follows all the information I have gleaned from much googling.  Don't bother reading it unless you're really interested in the production of clotted cream.**

Q: What is clotted cream?
A: "Thick, rich and indulgent with the consistency of soft butter, clotted cream is made by heating normal cream to evaporate some of the liquids. It has at least 55 per cent butter fat, giving it a pale yellow colour that is often topped with a deeper yellow crust."  Source: BBC

Please note, it is not cultured like buttermilk or yogurt, nor is it whipped or churned like whipped cream or butter.

Q: Can't you buy clotted cream in the US?
A: Sure.  You can get a 6oz jar for $6.29 at the English Tea Store.  Plus shipping.  And you shouldn't live too far from Philadelphia.

Q: But the production method seems straight forward: you take cream and you cook it.  Can't  that be done at home?
A: Yes.  Google will provide many "recipes" for heating cream to the requisite temperature for the appropriate length of time.  There are two primary techniques.
1: put heavy cream in the oven at 170 F for about 10 hours. Chill.  Skim off the clotted cream.
2: mix  heavy cream with milk and then heat in a double boiler on the stove, skimming the clotted cream off as it forms on the top.

Q: Simples! Have you tried it?
A: Yes!  I tried the oven method.  Veeery stiff clotted cream achieved.

Q: So, what's the problem then?
A: Presentation.  Trying to skim a solid-ish layer of cream off a bowl of milk results in a dodgy looking end product.  It's tough to keep the topside on the top. Maybe I'm just not a good skimmer.  But since the end goal is to sell Americans on the idea of clotted cream, presentation is important.

Q: Well, the clotted cream you buy online comes in those little clear glass jars with a perfect crust on the top.  No way anyone stands around skimming cream off lakes of milk and spooning it into those jars.  How do they do that then?
A: They decant the cream into the jars BEFORE they heat it.

Q: And what happens to the milk at the bottom when the cream rises?
A: There is no separation.  They start with cream that has a 55% - 60% fat content.

Q:  OK.  So can't you do that too?
A: Let's consider the legal milk fat limits of various products:

Milk Products:Fat content USFat content UK
Skim(med) Fat-Free Milk0%0-0.5%
1% Low-Fat Milk1%1%
Semi-Skimmed Milk
1.7%
2% Reduced-Fat Milk2%
Standerdised Whole Milk3.25%3.5%
Raw (Natural) Whole MilkAs the cow intended
Cream Products:Minimum Fat content USMinimum Fat content UK
Half & Half10.5%
Half cream
12%
Single (Light) cream18%18%
Light Whipping cream30%
Whipping cream
35%
Heavy Whipping cream36%
Double cream48%
Clotted cream55%

Cream with a 55% fat content cannot be obtained in the US (or the UK!) from a retail store.

Q: Given that the highest fat content cream available in the US isn't nearly "heavy" enough, let's consider the Raw Milk option.  Buy unpasteurized milk fresh from the cow.  Let sit.  Separate cream.  What's the fat content of that?
A: 35% or so.  Equivalent to Heavy whipping cream.

Q: So how do those clotted cream producers do it?!
A: Centrifuge.  (Calculators out.)

Q: Can you get one of those for home use?
A: Among the more fascinating discoveries I've made over the last few days, dairy separation centrifuges can be purchased primarily from manufacturers in India and Ukraine.  I have not yet found a US manufacturer of home dairy separators.  My hypothesis is that US milk goes directly into the national dairy processing chain while the milk produced in less developed countries with larger tracts of rural/hard to reach land still needs to be processed by local farmers.  (I did find one German seller, so they mess with this theory.)

Still, even an Indian made separator ($600+) will max out at 45% fat in the cream.

Q: So how do those clotted cream producers do it?!
A: If I'm understanding this correctly, hermetic centrifuges with pressure regulators can achieve fat contents over 72%.  This used model was listed for $19,900.

Q: And where does that leave the clotted cream project?
A: Yeah.  With messy homemade, I suppose.  Unless I can find a dairy producer willing to modify their production line.  Seems unlikely.  Sad times for the US scone and clotted cream cottage industry.

Q: You're not getting a cow then?
A: No.

Comments

  1. Hmmm, so clotted cream achievable, but skimming is the problem. Can't it be done with the help of gravity ? Messy idea follows: Put heavy cream in Removable Bottom Baking Pan. If too runny, seal it off with some pastry crust first. Pour heavy cream in. Put it in the oven at 170 F for about 10 hours. Chill. Now for the messy part: Put the pan in a large flat container of some sort, on top of something smaller than the removable disc at the bottom. Push gently down on the side of the pan to break the crust/let the bottom free. Liquid cream/milk underneath the clotted cream should flow into the container. Stop process before clotted cream runs out as well (albeit much more slowly), leaving you with a disk of clotted cream. With a bit of luck/skill, you do not damage too much the "clotted cream" disc by pushing it out of the pan from the bottom. Then find appropriate recipient to contain it without breaking the nice yellow top "crusty" part. Just an idea. If you try and make a mess out of it, we want pictures. ^_^

    Cheers,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife, who is more sensible than me ^_^, suggests you use gauze cheesecloth at the bottom of the pan when you are heating the cream, and that should help you separate the two phases once the clotted cream forms and you lifted it up with the cloth (you will lost the "yellow crust", on the other hand, I am afraid). There could be trials and errors at the beginning to find the proper thread count by square inch for the gauze to use. But she said that Cornish farmers in the old days didn't use $19,900 hermetic centrifuges with pressure regulators either. Which, I thought, is a fair point.

    Good luck in your clotted cream experiments !

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas,
      Thanks for the suggestions. I had been thinking about cheese cloth as well, so I will buy some and try it and report back. Of course, your wife is right about the centrifuges!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sudden Change of Direction: an Analogy of Dog and Life

There are times when you and Life are walking along, like good friends, and you think you know where you are going.  You think that you and Life have agreed on a direction; that there is a plan; that you understand each other. And then Life decides that despite all the trees you have already visited, you really must see this new one.  This tree is different from all the other trees and if you don't see it, you simply won't be the person you might be if you DO see it. And so Life changes direction. Except you don't notice.  Because you talked about it.  And there was this plan . And then you trip over Life.  And Life LOOKS very indignant because you weren't paying attention and kneed her in the ribs.  And you ARE very indignant because this is a stupid tree that you had no interest in ever seeing and you would chop it down and burn it if you could. Stupid tree.  Stupid Life.  Stupid little bits of gravel stuck in your palms. But eventually, you thin

Snow Tires, Snow Tired

Dear Reader, LandLady likes to encourage me by saying "I hope you're writing about this." At least, I'm pretty sure it's meant as encouragement.  It might be private hopes that if I write the story well enough, I can sell the movie rights and she can demand a cut. After all, the whole plan to buy a house in Bangor and move Dog in with my friends and their three boys (7 and younger) was hatched under her roof. However, as yet, the whole situation seems very unreal.  It took 3 months from offer to closing.  I signed a lot of papers and took possession of a lot of keys. And then the plumber showed up and there was a lot of banging.  And I extended my lease at LandLady's in hopes that plumbing and heating issues could be resolved before I moved in. And this house is in Maine where it has finally snowed.  And the driveway has been plowed in.  Dog doesn't want to go outside to run or pee and when she is forced to, she holds each foot off the icy ground

Je reviens.

My red soft-sided suitcase is somewhere in France, and that's the most I can tell you.  When I handed the suitcase to the nice man at Tulsa Int'l Airport, I naturally expected it to touch down in Montpellier at the same time I did.  Life did not meet my expectations. In fact, this entire trip is somewhat unexpected. At the time that I resigned my position in the UK, I struggled to picture myself returning to an office, staring at a screen for hours on end.  I had the idea that I would make a complete career change - to baking or event planning or film production.  But in the end, I met some people who were particularly interested in all the things I used to know and who were willing to pay for that knowledge.  They were also interested in sending me straight to France to work with my former colleagues.  And given a job description which could not have been filled by anyone but me, I agreed to take the position. As I was eating dinner (and trying not to spill on my onl