Skip to main content

24 Hours in Tulsa

My touch down to American soil comes in Chicago, but there is no one there to welcome me.  Not even an immigration officer.  Flights leaving from Dublin Terminal 2 to the US require passengers to pass through customs and immigration in Dublin, and I suppose it would be untrue for the immigration officer there to say "Welcome Home" when I'm still on Irish soil, so he doesn't.

My brother, sister-in-law and neice are waiting to meet me when I arrive in Tulsa and they say "Welcome to Tulsa" (which is truer, anyway, since Tulsa isn't really home).  In the spirit of Truth, what my neice actually says is something like "yah ahh gah yah", but it comes with a hug, so we can assume that means "welcome," too.

I manage to sleep from 10pm until about 5:30am.  16 hours of travelling will do that to you.  Fortunately, my aunt is up before me; they have a new coffee maker with more buttons than the last one and I am not sure how to run it.  Oh, the simplicity of the caffetiere!  I drink caffeinated coffee all day and still feel asleep on the stroke of 10pm.  Oh, the blessed rest of jetlag!

I check my email and am surprised to see an email from my mother.  She's not usually up at this hour.  Except this hour is not the hour that this hour used to be.  My mother is on the other side of me now, ahead of my time zone, not behind.  I can call her at 8:30 am and she will be pleased to hear from me.

I go out with my aunt to see my grandmother and take her to an appointment.  She gives me a hug and shows me the flowers recently planted in her front yard.  Now I know - we both love pansies.  I show her the pansy socks I am wearing - a souvenir from Dublin.

There is already mail waiting for me at my grandmother's address.  A gift from a friend.  And a financial appeal letter from my alma mater.  I slip these into my bag before we go out.

I meet the medical staff at the clinic and listen as they talk to my grandmother about her health.  There is a discussion about insurance, medicare, the cost of prescriptions.  I have never really paid attention to the details of these things before.  I am legally obligated to get an insurance plan of my own.  There will be a lot of fine print in my future.

We run more errands.  Being a passenger on the right side of the road feels so wrong.  We turn right on red.  We stop at the library.  I had not expected to be able to get a library card, because I had not expected to have proof of residency in Tulsa.  The librarian accepts the letter from my alma mater without question and hands me a new plastic card.  At WalMart, I pick up a box of honey nut cheerios and consider the array of Reeses Peanut Butter options.  I ask my aunt to stop at Panera for cinnamon raisin bread.  The woman at Panera gives me a new Panera loyalty card.  Later, my aunt points out the gym where she is a member, and asks me if I like working out.  Whether I like it or not, I will need to start if I am going to eat my way thorugh all of my favorite (high sugar) foods in the next few weeks. 

I spend the early evening with my second cousins.  We open the piano and I make an attempt at teaching the oldest how to match the written notes to the piano keys.  My aunt has the music to Ashoken Farewell, which reminds me of home Home.  I am out of practice, but I manage to play through to the end.

Comments

  1. Welcome home dear friend. I hope to see you when you head northeast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the USA! Looking forward to continue readings concerning your wanderings a little close to home . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley Lesley Lesley: i before e except after c "niece"
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sudden Change of Direction: an Analogy of Dog and Life

There are times when you and Life are walking along, like good friends, and you think you know where you are going.  You think that you and Life have agreed on a direction; that there is a plan; that you understand each other. And then Life decides that despite all the trees you have already visited, you really must see this new one.  This tree is different from all the other trees and if you don't see it, you simply won't be the person you might be if you DO see it. And so Life changes direction. Except you don't notice.  Because you talked about it.  And there was this plan . And then you trip over Life.  And Life LOOKS very indignant because you weren't paying attention and kneed her in the ribs.  And you ARE very indignant because this is a stupid tree that you had no interest in ever seeing and you would chop it down and burn it if you could. Stupid tree.  Stupid Life.  Stupid little bits of gravel stuck in your palms. But eventually, you thin

Snow Tires, Snow Tired

Dear Reader, LandLady likes to encourage me by saying "I hope you're writing about this." At least, I'm pretty sure it's meant as encouragement.  It might be private hopes that if I write the story well enough, I can sell the movie rights and she can demand a cut. After all, the whole plan to buy a house in Bangor and move Dog in with my friends and their three boys (7 and younger) was hatched under her roof. However, as yet, the whole situation seems very unreal.  It took 3 months from offer to closing.  I signed a lot of papers and took possession of a lot of keys. And then the plumber showed up and there was a lot of banging.  And I extended my lease at LandLady's in hopes that plumbing and heating issues could be resolved before I moved in. And this house is in Maine where it has finally snowed.  And the driveway has been plowed in.  Dog doesn't want to go outside to run or pee and when she is forced to, she holds each foot off the icy ground

Je reviens.

My red soft-sided suitcase is somewhere in France, and that's the most I can tell you.  When I handed the suitcase to the nice man at Tulsa Int'l Airport, I naturally expected it to touch down in Montpellier at the same time I did.  Life did not meet my expectations. In fact, this entire trip is somewhat unexpected. At the time that I resigned my position in the UK, I struggled to picture myself returning to an office, staring at a screen for hours on end.  I had the idea that I would make a complete career change - to baking or event planning or film production.  But in the end, I met some people who were particularly interested in all the things I used to know and who were willing to pay for that knowledge.  They were also interested in sending me straight to France to work with my former colleagues.  And given a job description which could not have been filled by anyone but me, I agreed to take the position. As I was eating dinner (and trying not to spill on my onl