Skip to main content

Where Are the Women of Theology?


Dear Reader,

As I mentioned in a previous post, at the beginning of the summer I signed up for the London Fellows Programme, a theology and personal discipleship course being run through a local church.  I'm mostly on track to complete the required pre-reading and will have my first response papers due in mid-September.  Topics thus far have included the person of God (A.W.Tozer's The Knowledge of the Holy) and the role of God's grace in our salvation (John Piper's Legacy of Sovereign Joy).  

But I'm distracted.

I have been through the program handbook, and in a year's worth of reading material (approx. 250 pages a month) there is one article written by a woman.  In the extensive Additional Resources list, there is a single book with a female author.

In a study from 2007, the charity TearFund reported that 
"Compared with all UK adults (Figure 3c), regular churchgoers are more likely to be:
  • Women (65% compared with 52% of  UK adults);
  • Aged over 65 (30%  compared with 18%  of UK adults)"
I don't want to generalize too broadly based on a study of one country for a single year, but it does match my own experience of church life; more women than men seem to take their religion and church involvement seriously.

I've never had deep questions about the true nature of God, and maybe that's why I have energy to spend wondering:
  • Are there Christian "classics" written by women?
  • Are there currently any women recognized as leaders in theology? 
  • What modern books on theology have been written by women?
  • Are books about God written by women disregarded because they aren't very good?  Or very original?  Or because they only deal with "women's issues"?  Or because men just don't read theology written by women?
  • I am not particularly interested in what has been written specifically about "the place of women in the church" and other topics frequently addressed by modern women, for modern women.  What I am more interested in is what women have said over the years which is relevant to all believers, and where that writing fits in with the writings of the great men of faith.
  • Do these women exist?  What have they written?  And why aren't we reading it?
I have to put these questions aside to get started on my next assignment - The Pursuit of God. 
But I expect I shall return to them.

~~ LeAn

Comments

  1. Would you consider Elizabeth Elliot as a theologian? She has written a number of books, and not all about women's issues

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Box Set

Jayne and I had decided to blow off work and talk about men in a way we never would have done when we were younger and more responsible.  (Actually, our bosses had pre-approved the vacation time if not the conversation, but I like to think that after sensible teenage and young adult years, we still have a chance of turning into carefree middle aged rebels.)  Jayne was sharing with me the surprise some people had expressed when they learned she was getting divorced and how that had opened her eyes to the compartmentalization in her life; in this case, that her marriage had been slowly deteriorating but she didn't talk about this with anyone - even close friends. I asked Jayne how many "boxes" she had.   "5 - 1 for work, 1 for family, 1 specifically for my ex, 1 for Christian friends, and 1 for non-Christan friends." As she finished, I saw myself 6 months ago.   I was having morning coffee with a friend and my phone beeped its daily 9 am reminder....

101 Things To Say Into a Microphone: Take 1 - Eletelephony

Dear Reader, At one point years ago, back when I was doing a bit of freelance audio, video and film production work, an idea came to me: I should write a book and call it 101 Things To Say Into a Microphone .  The idea was likely brought on by hearing some production assistant or other saying "Check...check 1.... check 1, 2, 3...Can you hear me?...... Check...........check....check....1...2...1.......2...check...3...4..." and so on for a period of time much longer than he wished to repeat it and everyone else wished to hear it.  Why not, I thought, write (or rather, compile) a book of relatively short, funny or interesting poems, quotes, stories, jokes, etc. which can be easily memorized and repeated by production assistants everywhere to the benefit of everyone on set or stage? This idea came back to me recently when I needed to test the recording quality of a microphone I purchased to record super-interesting-technical-stuff for work. Let's make this a collective...

Day 2: Grand Rapids, MI to Oconomowoc, WI

 When I lived in England, I learned the saying - Start as you mean to go on . I thought about this as the hotel manager explained to me that he was calling because I had left my journal in the hotel room but he would be able to have it shipped back to me if I could provide a pre-paid shipping label. This was the second distressing phone call before lunch.   The first distressing phone call was to say that due to high winds expected across Lake Michigan, our ferry to Milwaukee was cancelled. I really like ferries and I had been looking forward to the ferry across Lake Michigan for weeks. We stopped at Panera for lunch and to discuss the situation. My lunch was a disappointing sandwich. And then there was a lot of highway south of Lake Michigan and around Chicago.  And Spotify kept slipping weird mellow folk music into my upbeat driving playlist. And then about 20 miles before Oconomowoc, the sky did this, and I think we will consider this the new start of the trip.