Skip to main content

Book Review: Misquoting Jesus

Author Bart D. Ehrman likes provocative titles. Among his published works you will find The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, the Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot, God’s Problem, and Misquoting Jesus.

Ehrman wrote Misquoting Jesus to provide a layman’s introduction to the field of textual criticism, the process whereby scholars attempt to identify the original text of ancient manuscripts by comparing variations among them. As this is the first and only book I have read on the subject of Textual Criticism, I believe it does an admirable job of introducing the complexities of the challenge and the rewards of success.

Ehrman begins by discussing how New Testament manuscripts came to differ from each other and then describes the questions a textual critic will try to answer when he encounters variations among manuscripts.
  • Could the textual differences be attributed to transcription errors or are they intentional changes, introduced for theological or ideological reasons?
  • What is the “family tree” of the manuscripts in question? Is one known to have been copied from an older or more reliable source?
  • Does one variant seem more in keeping with the style and theme of the book as a whole?

Ehrman applies these principles to well-known passages, first describing the textual variations and then explaining his reasons for supporting one reading over another. He pays special attention to several passages whose interpretations might well change if the variant reading of their texts were to change. Of these, the most interesting to me personally is found on p. 185, in a section discussing changes introduced to support a restricted role for women in the church:
“We might consider briefly several other textual changes of a similar sort. One occurs in a passage I have already mentioned, Romans 16, in which Paul speaks of a woman, Junia, and a man who was presumably her husband, Andronicus, both of whom he calls “foremost among the apostles” (v. 7). This is a significant verse, because it is the only place in the New Testament in which a woman is referred to as an apostle. Interpreters have been so impressed by the passage that a large number of them have insisted that it cannot mean what it says, and so have translated the verse as referring not to a woman named Junia but to a man named Junias, who along with his companion Andronicus is praised as an apostle. The problem with this translation is that whereas Junia was a common name for a woman, there is no evidence in the ancient world for “Junias” as a man’s name. Paul is referring to a woman named Junia, even though in some modern English Bibles…translators continue to refer to this female apostle as if she were a man named Junias.”

If this is true, then the church of which I am currently a member would be forced to reconsider their restriction on women in the pastorate!

When I began reading Misquoting Jesus, I was expecting Ehrman to give examples of how the Bible is “wrong,” and therefore untrustworthy as a source of information about who God is and what He expects from us today. Despite his respectful tone when speaking of Christianity and the New Testament text, this does, in fact, seem to be Ehrman’s own opinion:
“The only reason (I came to think) for God to inspire the Bible would be so that his people would have his actual words; but if he really wanted people to have his actual words, surely he would have miraculously preserved those words, just as he had miraculously inspired them in the first place. Given the circumstance that he didn’t preserve the words, the conclusion seemed inescapable to me that he hadn’t gone to the trouble of inspiring them.” (P 203)

For Ehrman, human involvement in the writing, reproduction and distribution of the New Testament disqualify it from being considered a Holy Book.

Not being a textual critic myself, I'm not going to launch any public defense or refutation of Ehrman's claims about the New Testament. I never found the example I was waiting for that would shatter my faith, so on the whole, if you're interested in Biblical translation, the history of the New Testament, or just a good controversy. I would recommend Misquoting Jesus.

~~~LeAn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sudden Change of Direction: an Analogy of Dog and Life

There are times when you and Life are walking along, like good friends, and you think you know where you are going.  You think that you and Life have agreed on a direction; that there is a plan; that you understand each other. And then Life decides that despite all the trees you have already visited, you really must see this new one.  This tree is different from all the other trees and if you don't see it, you simply won't be the person you might be if you DO see it. And so Life changes direction. Except you don't notice.  Because you talked about it.  And there was this plan . And then you trip over Life.  And Life LOOKS very indignant because you weren't paying attention and kneed her in the ribs.  And you ARE very indignant because this is a stupid tree that you had no interest in ever seeing and you would chop it down and burn it if you could. Stupid tree.  Stupid Life.  Stupid little bits of gravel stuck in your palms. But eventually, you thin

Snow Tires, Snow Tired

Dear Reader, LandLady likes to encourage me by saying "I hope you're writing about this." At least, I'm pretty sure it's meant as encouragement.  It might be private hopes that if I write the story well enough, I can sell the movie rights and she can demand a cut. After all, the whole plan to buy a house in Bangor and move Dog in with my friends and their three boys (7 and younger) was hatched under her roof. However, as yet, the whole situation seems very unreal.  It took 3 months from offer to closing.  I signed a lot of papers and took possession of a lot of keys. And then the plumber showed up and there was a lot of banging.  And I extended my lease at LandLady's in hopes that plumbing and heating issues could be resolved before I moved in. And this house is in Maine where it has finally snowed.  And the driveway has been plowed in.  Dog doesn't want to go outside to run or pee and when she is forced to, she holds each foot off the icy ground

Je reviens.

My red soft-sided suitcase is somewhere in France, and that's the most I can tell you.  When I handed the suitcase to the nice man at Tulsa Int'l Airport, I naturally expected it to touch down in Montpellier at the same time I did.  Life did not meet my expectations. In fact, this entire trip is somewhat unexpected. At the time that I resigned my position in the UK, I struggled to picture myself returning to an office, staring at a screen for hours on end.  I had the idea that I would make a complete career change - to baking or event planning or film production.  But in the end, I met some people who were particularly interested in all the things I used to know and who were willing to pay for that knowledge.  They were also interested in sending me straight to France to work with my former colleagues.  And given a job description which could not have been filled by anyone but me, I agreed to take the position. As I was eating dinner (and trying not to spill on my onl